Bioheat® Fuel, "The Evolution of Oilheat"
Oilheat's future has arrived in the form of Bioheat® fuel, a blend of traditional heating oil and renewable biofuels that are derived from plants and food byproducts. The fuels blend easily and burn flawlessly in existing Oilheat systems.
What are the benefits of Bioheat® fuel?
- Produced domestically, Bioheat® fuel incorporates biofuel made from crops like soy or from food byproducts. Both sources are renewable and can replace imported oil.
- Bioheat® fuel is extremely clean burning with reduced sulfur and particulate emissions, making it environmentally friendly. It costs just about the same as "regular oil." You don't have to make any modifications to your burner or tank. You don't have to change your budget plan, payment plan, service contract or warranties.
Here in Downstate New York
- In July 2010, the New York City Council passed a measure requiring a biodiesel component in all heating oil and a lower sulfur content in oil used to heat apartments and other commercial buildings. This legislation, known as "Local Law 43 of 2010" requires all grades of heating oils to contain at least 2% biodiesel beginning in October of 2012.
- In October 2016, Mayor Bill de Blasio signed into law INT-642A, which raises the minimum biodiesel component of New York City's heating oil to 5%. This change went into effect on October 1, 2017. The B5 standard makes New York City a national leader in biofuel use for home heating.
- At the same time "Local Law 43 of 2010" was enacted, Governor Paterson signed a bill into law that limits the sulfur content of heating oil in New York State to 15 parts per million, effective July 1, 2012.
- As of July 1, 2023, all Bioheat® fuel sold in New York State must contain at least 5% biodiesel (B5) and will increase to 10% by 2025 and 20% by 2030. (https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/air_pdf/enfdisbiofuel.pdf - This was passed 1 day before July 1, 2022 when it should have gone into effect – to grant dealers outside NYC and Long Island an additional year to sell regular oilheat. See Graf 5 – Hence the July 1, 2023 date)
- New York State encourages the use of Bioheat® fuel with a generous tax credit. Residents who use blends of B6 (6% biodiesel) or higher can claim a direct income tax credit of up to 20 cents for each and every gallon they buy - one cent for each percentage point of biodiesel in a gallon of their heating fuel.
Here are just a few examples of what Bioheat® fuel can be made from:
Researchers are working on processes to produce biodiesel from algae and other non-food crops.
For more information on Bioheat® fuel and its availability, please contact your local Bioheat® fuel dealer.